I am so excited to take part in this obstacle course created by women for women, helping to raise awareness and funds for Futures Without Violence, a nonprofit that provides resources and support for victims and survivors of domestic violence, child abuse and sexual assault.
It feels even more special to be doing this during Mother's Day weekend. I'll be running to celebrate the strength of women everywhere as well as for my amazing mom and the many additional moms I have in my life!
As the captain of my own 'Mudderella Team' - which includes fellow teachers and staff from Barrow Street Nursery School and other friends from my Soul Sister Circle group - the days leading up to the event were filled with coordinating, managing, and organizing.
On top of this I also have my hands full coordinating, managing, and organizing the Inner Art Creations: West Africa Project - which we leave for on May 29th!
Not to mention my personal and work life.
You, know, the details.
At one point yesterday I felt like my head was spinning and I took a deep breath and paused just long enough to eat lunch. In that moment as I was cooking and cleaning up the kitchen with all these projects and events buzzing in my brain I thought:
Oh My Goodness, this is what moms do every moment of every day! And I'm just barely scratching the surface!
Moms juggle classes, events, school, homework, meals, cleaning and more - and that's just for the kids. Often they also have work, their spouse, and their own personal life - if, of course, there's time left in the day!
Which brings me to today's free practices: a list of things you can do for mom that don't cost anything, but make a world of difference.
7 Sure Ways To Support A Mom You Love
Of course, you know your mom or moms better than I do, so feel free to add or edit where needed, but these are great simple ways to support the amazing mom / moms in your life!
- Make sure she drinks water and eats food. Water not only gives her brain and body energy, but helps her skin glow, which my friend and mom, MaryAnn Jones of Thrive Naturally helped me remember! I also know a lot of moms who forget to eat and food is important! Even if you just put an apple in front of her, it will be appreciated.
- Hold her feet. Oh my goodness, please hold her feet! Rubbing is great, too, of course, but just firmly holding her feet helps her ground into her body, take a deep breath, know she's safe and supported and helps her let go. Powerful stuff. And if you're going to do it, you might as well rub some essential oils on there, too! Check out Young Living's Peace and Calming, Lavender and Peppermint for therapeutic grade love to soothe and rejuvenate her from the bottom up!
- Volunteer to help and follow through on your word! The second part of this is the kicker. If you say you're going to do something to help out mom, you've got to do it! Because until it's done, it's still on mom's list and that means it's still in her head and you haven't really helped at all. Follow through is huge.
- Give her a hug and tell her you love and appreciate her. It's the most basic thing, but sometimes we forget how powerful it really is. Do it as often as you remember.
- Make her a card / leave her a note. My mom in particular is a rock star at remembering everyone else's important dates and life struggles. She sends more cards and writes more loving and supportive notes in a month than I do in a year! The tiniest note of I love you can brighten an entire day, week or more! It doesn't have to be extravagant, it just shows you care.
- Dance with her! Whether you are her son or daughter, life partner or friend, when you dance with her, none of the to-do lists matter. All she feels is love.
- Finally, enjoy your life. This especially goes for all of us kids (and we all are, so I'm talking to you!). When we enjoy the lives our moms helped create, when we live fully, love deeply, and grow beyond imagination, it makes everything else worthwhile.
What else is on your list to support the moms in your life? And if you're a mom, what do you do to support yourself? Let me know in the comments below.
Share this post with someone you love. Click to Tweet.
And… If you're reading this during Mother's Day weekend 2015, take $100 off my More Than Mom online course by entering 100MOM at checkout! Ends May 10th, 2015 at midnight.
Happy Mother's Day Today & Everyday!